19.10.08

Fabric Arch Challenge


This weeks Friday challenge for Rosie and Lindas Art adventure is a fabric arch..
Had great fun researching this one, and as I love arch doors and windows I decided on a door leading into the secret garden.. made in two layers with wadding...... I sorted the garden out then the arch which I machined brick by brick...... in normal stitch and the arch a little heavier zigzag machining, then made some ivy which was a pain.... with dissolve fabric and applied to the arch..... I think I got the 3D effect.... by adding the arch layer to the garden and stitching down
which shows up more if you click on the close up.

DH has to make a frame for it, not sure if I need an arch shape rough wood..... It did turn out bigger than I had first planned........ we will see what he comes up with....

13 comments:

Jaqi said...

Wow, this is absolutly stunning, how talented you are. Its beautiful. It deserves to be in a lovely frame, It must have taken you ages , but well worth it, Well Done its fabulous, Jaqi

nancy said...

Woo Hoo! This is amazing. You must have a very nice sewing machine, but your composition and style are incredible.
nancy

nancy said...

Sharon, thanks for your comment on my arch. Burlap is a "sacking" material which is rough, loosely woven and very strong. Before we went to plastics, it was often used for potatoes. It was also used in the construction of upholstered furniture, underneath seats, etc. The fibers are like "jute". You must know it by another name. If you enlarge my arch, you can see it better. I also used it on the CBH "Pink" challenge which should be on the same page.
Nancy

Linda Vincent said...

Oh my word - how brilliant is that!
You are a star Sharon.
I feel like I'm teaching again...I want to give you a sticker!!!
Linda xx

Sandy said...

Wow wow wow this is so beautiful.
So incredible arch. Loev them.

Rosie said...

Sharon I'm absolutely amazed by your talent, imagination and willingness to go to enormous lengths to get something right! It certainly deserves to be framed. This beautiful work makes my funny little effort look a bit sad ... but well done and THANK YOU for joining in!

Sharon said...

I thank you all for your wonderful comments, The Idea was a joint effort my DH did have some input on this one......
I have always wanted a broken arched wall in my garden..... it's not big enough.... so I decided to use the challenge to make a whole arch.....else I wouldn't have done a large picture so thanks for the challenge.... I have my arch....
And had a relaxing time doing it..

Sharon xxx

Heather Robinson said...

Oh, I love doorways too and arched ones in particular. I always want to know what is on the other side. In your piece it looks like a lovely garden. Beautiful details.

Chris said...

OMG how stunningly beautiful is this and how talented you are. I just love all of the detail and the wonderful arch... you did a fantastic job... your arch is going to look spectacular in a frame :D well done you!!
hugs
Chris xx

joanne wardle said...

that's really beautiful, and a fantastic take on the theme, love it

~*~Patty S said...

Oohh look at your lovely arched doorway, each brick stitched! You are very good with your machine Ms Magpie :) I think it is extra special that Mr Magpie gave his input = Love that! This is such a stunning and gorgeous piece!!!

Chriss Rollins said...

stunning stunning stunning.everyone has said it all, it is amazing.
chriss x

Viola said...

It`s really stunning, Sharon! So wonderful! :o)